The popularity of watersports in the UK is soaring, with exciting new sports and activities appearing all the time, but as more and more people hit the water there is an increased need for knowledge and safety awareness.
Basic Activity Safety Advice
Although there are an enormous variety of inland water activities now available, there is some basic safety advice common to all of them.
- Wear a buoyancy aid or lifejacket at all times.
- Get trained in the appropriate activity before taking part unaided.
- Even after receiving training, stay within your limitations and build up you experience slowly.
- Join a recognized club to receive useful information, training and advice.
- Plan and organise any trip on the water, making sure to check the local weather forecast and inform somebody of your whereabouts and expected time of return.
- Be aware of the appropriate emergency procedures and ensure then you have the necessary safety equipment and that it is functioning correctly.